May 6, 2011
Big Sur
The sound of waves crashing at the base of the cliffs hundreds of feet below, the tinkling of a stream, tittering of birds slowly make their way into my awakening consciousness. I am nested with Bob in the Mothership and the air is cool and sweet. Dawn in Big Sur. We are tucked on the edge of a cliff beside my friend's little shack and I wake up happy and relaxed. My skin smells of the mineral baths of Esalen; a smell that is familiar to me and rich in memories; I smile.
The previous morning I awoke in darkness at 5 AM in the driveway of a friend in Santa Cruz. I rose quickly and we drove along Highway 1, the narrow winding road gashed into the cliffs and mountains along the Big Sur coast, heading south to Esalen. To the right steep cliffs plunging down into an aquamarine ocean; to the left tall green mountains rising up, cleft by steep canyons where rivers plunge down to sandy beaches and oxbow into the rocky ocean.
We arrived at Esalen after sunrise and the first thing I did was have two cups of the most amazing coffee in the world, with half and half and sugar, sitting on the green grass on the edge of the cliffs, looking out to the misty sea. Then we strolled down to the tubs and showered and soaked. Floating in the hot mineral water, looking out to sea, up at the cliffs, drifting, melting into the heat. The joy of Esalen. After breakfast I gave Bob a massage outside in the fresh cool air and warm sun. Then we walked through the gardens along the top of the cliffs, through glorious flowers of all colors and fresh vegetables. When the sun got intense we lay in the shade of Monterrey pines on soft green grass. In the evening we soaked alone in a pool watching the sun set and night fall, still melting into peace and relaxation.
At night we returned to Lance's shack on the edge of the cliffs, high above the Pacific for wine and music, playing electric guitars and rocking out. And now full circle another day has come. We rise and make coffee and eggs and eat at a little table on the edge of the cliff. And then once again it's time to hit the road. We drive down the coast, up and over the Coastal Range and south to Carlsbad, California. And tomorrow we cross the border into Mexico for a summer of surf. Avanti!
No comments:
Post a Comment